Den här sidan är utskriven från Högskolan i Halmstads webbplats ( Texten uppdaterades senast den 2018-12-05. Besök webbplatsen om du vill vara säker på att läsa den senaste versionen.

Financial matters

Due to strict regulations and security aspects it takes an effort to open a bank account in Sweden, as in most foreign countries. Banks are required to carry out a stringent check of customer identity and they charge a fee for their services.

Also, services and offers from the different banks are depending on how long you’re staying and whether you have a Swedish personal identity number or not.

Bank information

If you are staying for a shorter time, perhaps only a few months, we recommend that you keep your account in your current bank, as Swedish banks may be hesitant to open one for you. We recommend you to contact those that will manage your salary payments in good time and provide the information they need – all to secure that you receive your salary to your own account in your home country. Depending on your bank, there may be costs involved in this procedure and Halmstad University will not cover those expenses. Please note that foreign checks usually take a long time to process and you would have to pay extra for processing fees.

If you are planning to stay for longer than 12 months in Sweden, and are going to apply for a Swedish personal number, we recommend you to open a bank account. To open a bank account, you should contact the bank and make an appointment.

Generally you need the following to open an account at any Swedish bank:

  • Valid passport
  • Employment contract or a certificate/hosting agreement from the university showing your status at the university
  • Details of address in Sweden
  • Document proving that you have a personal identity number or a coordination number
  • Recidence permit/Right of residence
  • Swedish ID card (Mandatory in most banks if you stay more than one year)

Below are links to information in English about the four major Swedish banks.

Bank hours

Banks are generally open Monday through Friday 10 am-3 pm. Many branch offices have additional open hours in the late afternoon at least once a week.

Salary into your account

Halmstad University use Danske Bankexternal link for salary payments.To receive salary into an account in another bank, you should contact the HR Department or your contact at your academy.

If you are staying for a shorter time (e.g. less than three to six months), it is normally easier to use your bank account in your home country for financial matters. If you will receive payment to an account outside Sweden, you should contact the HR Department or your contact at your academy.


We strongly recommend you to bring a Visa/MasterCard to Sweden, as cards are widely used all over the country. Remember to activate your card first if it is blocked for purchases and withdrawals outside your home country/continent.

The cheapest way to pay bills is through the bank's payment services, which are also available online. Visa, MasterCard, Visa Electron, Maestro are accepted for online payments, but make sure your card is activated for internet payments. To pay bills over-the-counter in banks can cost about 150 SEK per bill


If you work in Sweden for more than six months you will most often be fully liable for Swedish income tax on all your income and register to pay tax in Sweden.

If you work in Sweden for less than six months, you or your employer will most often need to apply for a Swedish special income tax decision (SINK). Please contact HR department for more information regarding application for taxation in accordance with the Special Income Tax.

Updated 2018-12-05