Leave of absence
If you are unable to carry out your studies for a limited period, you may apply for leave of absence (study break). You may apply for leave of absence three weeks after the course has started at the earliest. Prior to that, you may apply for deferment of studies.
Please note that a leave of absence could affect your residence permit, tuition fee, and scholarships. Your right to student accommodation may also be affected; check with the Student Union which rules apply.
Leave of absence or sick leave?
Please note that leave of absence is not equal to sick leave. If you get ill during a shorter period you should report sick leave – not leave of absence.
Leave of absence without a guaranteed place
If there are no special reasons for your absence, you may take a study break without a guaranteed place. In this case, you may only resume your studies if there are available places in the programme/course after the break.
Leave of absence with a guaranteed place
Approved leave of absence means that you have a guaranteed place in your current programme/course after the break. In order to be granted leave of absence with a guaranteed place, you must have special reasons for the study break. Special reasons may be social, medical or relate to parental leave, military or civilian service, or student union assignments etc.
It is important that you submit supporting documents that are proving your reasons, in order for Halmstad University to be able to assess your application.
Swedish Council for Higher Education about special reasons
4 § Special reasons for being allowed to continue studies after a leave of absence may be social, medical or other special circumstances such as care of children, conscription or civilian service, military basic training according to the ordinance (2015: 613) on military basic training or student union assignments. Special reasons may also be temporary probationary employment in accordance with section 12 of the Act (2012: 332) on certain Armed Forces employment or service in the Armed Forces for those who are employed as part-time group officers, soldiers or sailors in accordance with this Act.
Prerequisites for a guaranteed place
In case of an approved leave of absence, you’re guaranteed a place in the programme/course after the leave under the following circumstances:
- You meet the entry requirements for the courses that are to be studied during the semester when the studies are continued
- The programme/course is given at the time when you have announced that you want to resume the studies
- The programme/course is given with the same teaching form and at the same location, as the programme/course that you have a leave of absence from, when you want to resume the studies
- You get in contact with the University according to the instructions for continuation that are stated in your decision.
How to apply for leave of absence
Without a guaranteed place
You do not have to apply for leave of absence without a guaranteed place, but you must notify Halmstad University by emailing your personal details and the start and end date of your absence to email@example.com. Inform in your e-mail that it’s a leave of absence without a guaranteed place that you’re giving notice about.
With a guaranteed place
To apply for leave of absence with a guaranteed place you either fill in and submit a digital form on the web or you fill in a pdf form that you send in an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or hand in at Service Center. You find both the digital form and the pdf form via the links below.
Application for leave of absence - digital form
Facts about leave of absence
- During leave of absence from a programme, you may only take exams, e.g., write an exam or take-home exam, in courses where you have previously been registered. If you are unable to register for an exam, please contact Service Center no later than the last day of registration.
- During leave of absence, you are not entitled to student grants. Do not forget to notify any change of circumstances to CSN, if applicable.
- You cannot register or re-register for courses within the programme during your leave of absence.
- Leave of absence is granted for a maximum of two semesters per application.
Leave of absence could affect your residence permit
If you are a tuition fee paying student with a residence permit for studies, your permit can be affected if you are taking a study break (granted or not). The Migration Agency recommend us to inform you that they can revoke your permit for studies as the permit requires that you are actually studying. Learn more on the Migration Agency website for further information.
Swedish Migration Agency External link.
Leave of absence could affect the tuition fees
If you are a tuition fee paying student and you are granted leave of absence from studies, you need to inform the University, otherwise you will be invoiced for the upcoming semester.
If you have been granted leave of absence, you do not need to pay the tuition fee. Before you resume your studies, you have to contact the University, pay the tuition fee and apply for extension of your visa (if required).
Leave of absence could affect your scholarship
If you have a scholarship or funding from external parties, you should check how a leave of absence from studies affects your situation. Students who have been awarded a Halmstad University Scholarship will no longer meet the conditions to keep the scholarship and the scholarship will be withdrawn.