Master's Programme (120 credits) in Energy Smart Innovation in the Built Environment
The two-year Master’s programme in Energy Smart Innovation in the Built Environment gives you a better understanding of renewable energy in the built environment and you do practical work to apply solutions to one of the major issues of our time: how we build an urban society where energy consumption and energy supply are sustainable in the long term.
About the education
Courses and competencies in focus
The Master’s programme in Energy Smart Innovation focuses on the technology of smart energy solutions in the built environment, as well as on principles for the successful implementation of these. In the first semester, you take joint courses in the programme's main field of study. In this way, students acquire a common knowledge base on construction and energy technology. This is followed by courses aimed at deeper technical knowledge, as well as knowledge of innovation processes linked to the implementation of energy solutions in the built environment.
Both distance and campus learning will be offered during the first two weeks.
The programme is conducted in English.
Several courses are project-based and are carried out in close collaboration with the business community. The Master’s programme in Energy Smart Innovation is closely linked to several of the university's research environments, as well as to the profile area Smart Cities and Societies, and several of its teachers are active researchers in areas such as innovation, construction innovation, energy efficiency, district heating and wind power.
Information about entry requirements is available in the information box under the page picture. Click on "show education info" to learn more.
The courses listed below are included in the programme starting autumn 2023.
Click on a linked course to search for the course syllabus, including course literature. Please note that you need to scroll down the page to find the syllabus.
* included in the programme main area Construction Engineering with specialisation in Renewable Energy.
- Scientific Methods and Academic Writing, 7.5 credits*
- Construction Innovation and Change Management, 7.5 credits*
- Renewable Energy Systems, 7.5 credits
- Energy Efficiency and Moisture Control in Buildings, 7.5 credits*
- Management of Innovation Projects, 7.5 credits
- Heating, Cooling and Indoor Climate, 7.5 credits *
- Business Model Innovation, 7.5 credits
- Renewable Electricity and Storage, 7.5 credits
- Finance in Construction and Energy Systems, 7.5 credits *
- Exergy Analysis in the Built Environment, 7.5 credits
- Smart Technology for Sustainability, 7.5 credits *
- Advanced Course in District Heating Technology, 7.5 credits *
- Master Thesis Construction Engineering with specialisation in Renewable Energy, 30 credits *
After the education
The program leads to a Degree of Master of Science (120 credits) with a major in Construction Engineering with specialisation in Renewable Energy.
Opportunities for further studies
After the programme, you are qualified to apply for doctoral and PhD studies, for example in the University's own third cycle courses.
Meet our students and former students
Five questions for alumnus Daniel Andrés Prieto
- Questions about entry requirements, selection and admissions – Contact the Student Affairs Department
- Questions about the content of the education – Contact the Programme Director: Contact details can be found in the education information box.
- Questions regarding studies and career opportunities – Contact Study and Career Guidance
Bachelor of Science in Engineering in Building Technology, Energy Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or the equivalent. Including courses of 7.5 credits within the field of Building Technology, 7.5 credits Project Management, 7.5 credits Engineering Mechanics and 7.5 credits Applied Physics or the equivalent, and 22.5 credits Mathematics. The degree must be equivalent to a Swedish högskoleingenjörsexamen and must have been awarded from an internationally recognised university. Applicants must have written and verbal command of the English language equivalent to English course 6 in Swedish Upper-Secondary School.
Selection is made on the basis of the required educational background.
Language of instruction:
Teaching is in English.
Other education that may interest you
Master's Programme (120 credits) in Embedded and Intelligent Systems
As a specialist in embedded and intelligent systems, you will have specialist technical expertise, research experience and good career opportunities after graduation.
Master's Programme (120 credits) in Industrial Management and Innovation
As an engineer specialising in industrial management and innovation, you will be able to organise, critically evaluate, and reflect on complex problems related to the...
Master's Programme (120 credits) in Information Technology
As an information technologist, you can help solve many of society’s future challenges in, for example, autonomous vehicles and health care. This master’s programme...